Thursday 13 November 2014

I'm Lucky - And So Are You


Tuesday morning my new temping job meant I had to set my alarm for 6am. This may not sound too dramatic, but after returning from Chicago last week my sleeping pattern has been awful, and I haven’t drifted off much before 3am, so I’ve been pretty sleep deprived the past few days.
The first time my alarm went off Tuesday, I regained only enough consciousness to immediately hit snooze. The second time, I looked at my phone in confusion, saw some indecipherable symbols, and simply jabbed at the screen until the noise stopped again.
Running out the door at 7:30am, then late, I read a book on my commute while trying to remember what had been wrong with my phone that morning.

I recalled blearily thinking the time and information had been translated into another alphabet and I’d need to sort it out later. It was only then I realised that my brain had simply not been awake enough to comprehend the task of reading. For a second I saw the letters as a young child does, squiggles and shapes that meant nothing. The whole meaning of my Creative Writing degree was put into perspective. I thought of how lucky we are to have the ability to decipher words and shapes in a way that allows us to communicate with a huge amount of people, how much we take it for granted. I also thought how many doors are opened by teaching these basics throughout a supportive educational environment.


Unless I have something significant to say, or I’m calling my mother, most of my communication is done by text or similar messaging services. And none of it would be possible without the ability to read, comprehend the information, and communicate my own ideas and thoughts back. And this applies to you too. If you’re reading this, then you have the ability to do what 775 million adults today cannot do in any language.

However terrible or wonderful your day, week, month or year may be going, try to remember this fact: by understanding the order I’ve deliberately put these shapes, letters and words into, you’re living in a world full of possibility and communication. That enough is something to feel lucky – or at least appreciative – about.

No comments:

Post a Comment