Monday 10 November 2014

Part of Our World


Keeping with the fairytale theme of my last post, the images in this post are the results of a shoot themed on "The Little Mermaid" from earlier this year.
Being one of my favourite childhood Disney movies, during my teens I researched the story more and found the ending of the original fairytale to be far, far darker than a happy marriage to the prince of Ariel's dreams.


Not wanting to go quite so dark (and not having a male model on this occasion), I tried to take the stance that opposed to her prince abandoning her for another woman and leaving her to die a mortal, my version of Ariel would instead be tempted by the riches of the world, but with a over-demanding attitude and unworkable desires, she ultimately remains alone and once again longs for the sea.


Despite it being mid-May the weather was still pretty cold, so I was conscious of keeping my wonderful model Lauren Schultz as warm as possible. After climbing around on the rocks and getting some of the shots we had pre-planned, we wrapped up warm pretty quickly without much space for spontaneous experiments.


The images were taken on 12th Street beach in Chicago, and as is quite obvious, I later edited the blue hue to make the ocean look unrealistic in order to mirror my Ariel's impractical expectations of general society.


No comments:

Post a Comment