Thursday 28 January 2016

Mayday Parade: A review from an outgrown emo kid

I got there late because I was drinking in a less overpriced establishment than the venue which it was at (also my old work place haha). I missed the first (two?) support acts and watched The Maine and Mayday Parade from the balcony.

The Maine



Thoughts during the set:

  • I'm pretty sure I only know one song of theirs still. But most of these sound the same so I'm not sure if I'll recognise it.
  • Oh! Oh! I know this song! No, wait, I'm thinking of a Green Day song.
  • Ohh are they going to put confetti down? Support acts never do that. Nope, that's just a photographer with an oversized flash, my bad.
  • Why does the singer keep hunching over the microphone like that? Maybe he needs a massage, or some yoga. I can't imagine tour busses are always the most luxurious sleeping places.
  • I need to go to the bathroom. Ah I'll just go now, this song isn't too exciting anyway.
  • Their logo looks pretty similar to the Metro venue in Chicago. I wonder if they know that.

Things they said, and my thought responses:
  • Opening line: "Don't be afraid!"
Why would we be afraid? Afraid of what, you? Is there something about you as a band we should know?

  • "It's okay to be alright."
You know, I think it's more than okay. I think it's kinda a socially accepted norm/expectation.

  • "Do you like my shirt? My mum picked it out for me. *slight aw from crowd* just kidding she's dead *super awkward moment for crowd* Just kidding she's alive. She's really nice."
WHO ARE YOU AND WHY ARE YOU TELLING SEVERAL HUNDRED (emotionally insecure) PEOPLE YOUR NICE, ALIVE MOTHER IS DEAD?

  • If you're not having fun, go to the bathroom or something.
Thanks, but I already did that.

  • Everyone here should go to the bar and ask for a double. They measure them back there. It's bullshit.
Actually it's the venue policy and most of these bar staff are in some capacity my friends so please don't encourage the crowd to be rude or nasty to them. They can under pour you if you'd rather they not measure it. Though having said that 90% of the people here are underage so I guess the damage is minimal.

  • Have a beautiful life, my friends.
I'm not your friend and you clearly hated us as a crowd anyway.


Mayday Parade




Thoughts during the set:
  • I know way less songs than I thought.
  • Maybe if I just mouth along that will be okay. Wait I'm at the back no one can even see me.
  • Oh dear I'm like the cool kid at the back but really trying not to be.
  • HEY I KNOW THIS SONG!
  • All these guys look like different guys I had crushes on when I was a teenager.
  • I'm really glad they're not saying cringey stuff like The Maine.

Things they said, and my thought responses:

  • "We formed ten years ago!"
Yeah I feel old now.

  • "We love the UK so much, you're so supportive."
We have a really weird, obsessed emo scene here still you mean?

  • "This song is called Terrible Things."
That was a really supportive cheer for a really depressing song title. Though this song is actually kind of good if you're 14 and need something to cry at.


Other notable moments:

  • Hanging round outside after the show and my best friend says "wow, there is literally every kind of emo kid here."



Jokes aside, midway through their set as I was reminiscing about when I used to listen to them a lot, I thought back to the kind of things I wanted back then. Then I looked to my right at my best friend, watching something we shared a connection with, together in Bristol. We'll be celebrating our own ten years soon enough, after a lot of ups and downs. I've got through uni and have lived abroad and have some really great friends in the industry that I want to be involved with. And I realised with a sad kind of happiness: I've got everything I used to want.

No comments:

Post a Comment