Saturday 18 April 2015

There's A Sixth Time For Everything



Three years ago I was wondering through the streets of Bath when I came across a band who was busking. Bath has a lot of good buskers and you learn pretty quickly to not pay too much attention unless you want to waste your day staring at street performers. But these guys... The energy was intense and they had CDs and bags for sale and it was just too much to not watch. They gathered a big crowd and before I knew it I was handing over money for merch. Who were they?


Will and the People. That's who they were. And the more I listened the more I got hopelessly sucked into loving them. The slight folky sound mixed with indie mixed with a seemingly endless number of instruments used in their songs just created music that I couldn't help but dance to. And while people like them have had bursts into the mainstream (Passenger, Mumford and Sons etc) they've stayed modestly unknown in England, yet hold a fierce fan following nonetheless.


They played at a festival I went to the summer I discovered them, and I made sure I saw all three of their sets that weekend. It was there I learnt they do incredible covers as well. (Above is a favourite.) I'm sure I came off a little crazy that weekend, dragging my new festival friends to see the same bands, but as soon as you get into the crowd, your hips start moving and soon your full out hippie-skanking without shame.


And while their music can be tragically depressing when you really listen to the lyrics, as soon as they step on stage they bring so much energy and good vibes (okay primarily Will (the singer) because he doesn't stop moving) that you don't even realise you're smiling at a song about feeling lonely. In fact, it's totally the opposite. You sing and dance to the songs as a means of being in that community. The stranger next to you becomes your best friend for five minutes while you both silently acknowledge it's okay to feel lonely sometimes but at this moment you've never felt happier and more surrounded by lovely people.


Last night marked the sixth time I've seen them, and I by no means intend it to be the last. Seriously, check them out if you haven't already. I'm always keen for more gigging partners.


No comments:

Post a Comment